Automated Fixtures Good board for moving heads

FlashBang

Hi,

I am currently responsible for all aspects of lighting in an auditorium that sees a high number of low end productions (This is one of many duties, not my full time position and as such my knowledge is very basic). The 400-seat theatre is in a college, and mainly used for student music concerts on weekdays.

Evenings / weekends are rented out to a variety of groups (dance, theatre, music, even bodybuilding and circus). General lighting requirements are outlined 2-4 weeks (or more) in advance, and specifics are ironed out 2-4 hours before showtime when the rental group arrives.

SO, there is little programming / focusing done for each specific event. We have a base plot that is used for the student music shows, and simply add gels and maybe a few area or effect-specific fixtures when the rental groups come in. Nonetheless, they all want something extravagant and don't seem to listen when I explain their rental is for 4 hours INCLUDING performance and load-out (an example of what this might mean is having two spots on center stage, pan/tilt out into audience and scan for a few seconds, focus back on centerstage. Kind of a "Who wants to be a millionaire" motif)

We currently have a "ETC Express 24/48" board and 2x "Robe Spot250XT" luminaires
The moving heads have never been operational, my predecessor who ordered them never purchased the DMX to hook them up.

The college is investing ~20k into the auditorium (a large chunk is already allocated to sound / video though), and may be willing to put in a higher-level board. Overall, we want to be able to accomplish something much more "flashy" without too much of a programming time. I get the feeling my Express isn't gonna help me much, but I know it could work for movers.

Any and all advice, thoughts, information, ramblings will be thoughtfully read and very much appreciated.
(Also, a quick step-by-step for how to hookup and test the connection from Express to luminaire would be awesome - but I can dig for this, so its not a priority)

Thanks!

1st) Welcome to Control Booth!

2nd) If you have the money and want to stick with ETC, the ION or Element might be something that you would be interested in. I like ETC but someone else will have something to say on another brand. Also someone might suggest looking at the Gafftaper Method.

Last edited:
Yeah, I read through gaff's method but due to my lack of time to prepare the lighting plot I think having a set plot of movers would be preferable to an adjustable plot that incorporates different pieces for different effect requirements.

I'm all for allocating the cash properly, but I'm not looking for a "more bang for your buck" situation, rather one of "more simplicity for your buck".

Last edited:
Still however the element will be your best choice or maybe a SmartFade ML. But whatever you do don't buy some cheap DJ type board with a moving light controller. If you can't spend enough for a SmartFade ML or Element just keep the Express.

...(Also, a quick step-by-step for how to hookup and test the connection from Express to luminaire would be awesome - but I can dig for this, so its not a priority).
Start with this Collaborative Article: Programming Moving Lights on an ETC Express(ion).
Also,
... 1)mount the fixture, 2a)plug the luminaire into non-dimmed, constant power, 2b) plug in the DMX, 3)set the DMX start address to match what's in the console, and 4)away you go. ...

Still however the element will be your best choice or maybe a SmartFade ML. But whatever you do don't buy some cheap DJ type board with a moving light controller. If you can't spend enough for a SmartFade ML or Element just keep the Express.

A SFML would not really be a good replacement for an Express and would not really work well in a theatre situation because it doesn't have command line syntax and it doesn't have an easily useable and editable cuestack. I love the SFML and installed one in a band/club venue, but I would never put one in a theatre.

I'd say that for just 2 moving lights and a rig of conventionals an ETC Element would be a good board. As mentioned, though, if you can't afford something along the lines of the Element, keep the Express and learn how to use the rather cumbersome Express moving light functions.

Yeah, I read through gaff's method but due to my lack of time to prepare the lighting plot I think having a set plot of movers would be preferable to an adjustable plot that incorporates different pieces for different effect requirements.

Also, the fatcats upstairs have no interest in cutting costs or getting the most for their money. They simply want to serve their clients well enough to avoid complaints. I'm all for allocating the cash properly, but I'm not looking for a "more bang for your buck" situation, rather one of "more simplicity for your buck".
Other than cable, you have everything you need to run the two lights you have. As far as having little time to set lights, you would do much better having a couple of lights that can be just a S4 or a mover(add the right arm, DMX iris, seachanger and other tools that will take an ordinary light and make it do other things). Inexpensive movers generally won't cut through many stage washes. The fatcats don't care whether it is easy for you or not, only that the customer is happy. If you can offer a variety of options with relative ease and for less invested, wouldn't that make everybody happier? It would help your bosses, make your life easier and give the customer a better product.

you would do much better having a couple of lights that can be just a S4 or a mover(add the right arm, DMX iris, seachanger and other tools that will take an ordinary light and make it do other things). If you can offer a variety of options with relative ease and for less invested, wouldn't that make everybody happier? It would help your bosses, make your life easier and give the customer a better product.

I have no shortage of S4s, so having the same fixture double as S4 and mover isn't a priority. I might be interested in putting some seachangers and right arms in (are this also a pain to control with the Express?) but I still think the easier way to "wow" the makeshift directors I deal with and put something interesting behind the performers (many of whom are toddler dance students) is with the automated fixtures.

...some seachangers and right arms in (are this also a pain to control with the Express?) ...
"Easier" in that an ERS with DMX accessories is fewer parameters to deal with than an ML, but still difficult. See the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...intelligent-lighting-dumb-etc-lightboard.html . It sounds like you desire the functionality of gMA, MagicQ, Hog, Eos, (families), but for only two automated fixtures would be serious overkill and significant learning curve. Give Solotech a call, and see if you can't go over and see some of their consoles. Along those lines, Dealers for Supplies and Equipment - ControlBooth .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back