Labeling Soft Goods

DGotlieb

I'm getting some new soft goods.
I'm just wondering what have you found the best way to label your soft goods for easy reference.

Sharpie info on the webbing? top left, center or right?
Just use the tag sewn on by the manufacturer?
Attach some sort of extra tag some where?
Other?

what info do you put on the tag?
-just height x width
-weight?
-how many bricks you need for your fly system?
-other?

At my current theatre we usually just write on the webbing HxW but I'm thinking about adding a plastic tag zip tied thru a grommet.
That way it's a bit easier to find when folded up in a bin and adding some weight info.
Just wanted to see if anyone had a brilliant thing I haven't come up with... and or a warning against it.

I'd resist putting a weight label on the goods, as especially with non-IFR fabrics, the weight will change seasonally primarily due to humidity. At the sizes you're working with, it might not matter much, but I've heard that a 30'x60' Velour Full Stage Traveller with 50% fullness can vary more than fifty pounds summer over winter. Expand argument to "-how many bricks you need for your fly system?"

The manufacturer probably puts its own label top right or top left. On the other end, I'd put a white gaff tape label on the webbing: "LEG 21'H x 8'W", "BORDER 6'H X 42'W", "DROP 21'H x 45'W". Use a contrasting colored tie for the center one.
(I must have run into this at some point, but don't know what I'd do upon encountering an even number of ties, thus no real "center". I guess TWO contrasting ties, both in the "middle." Or, one might be more center than another based on measuring rather than counting ties.)

I'm gonna call out my buddy @Ted jones for his thoughts. I bet he has spec'd and/or built more drapes than just about anyone here.

One thing that, sadly, crops up fairly often is the condition of the soft goods -- ie, "Tear on RH side," "Water stains near center," as well as the year they were purchased, which helps suggest the condition of the goods.

You might want to include fullness, especially if some of your drapes have them and some don't; it can be difficult to tell when folded sometimes.

There's probably a spec for them (and it may be listed on their packing slip) as to whether it has chain in the bottom, the spacing of grommets, sewn irregularly, etc. which would be useful to document in a tech spec for your space, but not on the goods themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back