Automated Fixtures Programming Intelligent Lights

vincecr

I am new to the domain of intelligent lights and we are using them in our next show. I know how to patch them into our Strand Classic Palette but I don't know how to actually physically connect them to shownet. I really need to know everything from how to hang them and power them all the way to getting to show up so that I can select them in the patch on the board.

...to the domain of intelligent lights ...
If there were truly intelligent lights, they'd program themselves. Unless you want to be identified as a noob, call them automated or moving lights.

First, you need an output node that translates ShowNet into DMX512. Then 1)mount the fixture, 2a)plug the luminaire into non-dimmed, constant power, 2b) plug in the DMX, 3)set the DMX start address to match what's in the console, and 4)away you go.

Have you seen the series of YouTube videos on Palette Training?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
When derekleffew says nondimmed constant power, he means exactly that. Do not plug it to a dimmer at 100%, that is bad. I don't know your board, or what movers you are using but you need to give yourself plenty of time to sit and play. Each light has different numbers of channels needed, even different amounts within itself, you have to make sure the board has the profile for your light, if not how to find one or write one. You can daisy chain the DMX from light to light.
Do you have anyone with experience that is going to help. If not there could be a huge learning curve.

I have experience with the board and I have gone over the patching as shown in the video above. I used the offline version to play with the settings and how to go from there. Just to clarify what is meant by dmx start is that the dmx adress that I patch to in the board like (1.xxx)

In a DMX universe you have 512 channels or addresses. You have to determine what is being used by any other devices, normally the dimmers start at DMX one and goes up. If you don't have anything else DMX driven then you can start at the first open number or you can jump to a higher number. For instance, if you have 96 channels of dimmers, you could start at 97 or jump to 100. That would make the assigning numbers easier. Then find out how many channels per light and add that number each time.
Assume 13 channels for demonstration purposes, start at 101, the next would be 114-27, 128-151. An easier method is to jump numbers, if you have room. Start at 101-114, 111-124 and so forth.
What city are you in? I am in MD also, maybe I could help if you aren't too far.

... I have one more question. Can you plug an intelligent fixture into a standard wall outlet or a non-dim on your electric?
(Still haven't broken you of calling it an "intelligent fixture"? I'll have to try harder.:evil:)

Yes; if it comes with an Edison (NEMA 5-15) plug, it should be plugged into a convenience outlet or true non-dim. (There are some exceptions--Some MLs require 200-240VAC; others have an isolated lamp, etc.) The best solution is likely an ML PD, but that is not always possible or practical.

What specific MLs are you using?

I would call them Unintelligent Lights
or even
Stupid Lights

In the UK they call them Bobbing Buckets

I like calling them "wiggle lights" (or just a PITA when they decide to not work anymore)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back