Automated Fixtures Robe 700 E AT focus sticking

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So here's the problem,

The focus motor on one of my Robe 700 E AT models is getting stuck, or perhaps slipping. As in, when I'll be focusing it, it'll make the "motor stuck in one position and grinding" noise, and then I'll lose the focus function as its stuck. It will remain in one focus for a while even if I tell it to go to another focus. After a few minutes, usually after moving the light around with pan and tilt, it will return to normal and I can focus it again, but then again sure enough it gets stuck. This does not generate an error message.

Any idea as to what is wrong? Is this a stripped belt? Might it need some sort of lubrication? The manual gives nothing in terms of focus mechanism trouble shooting or maintenance.

So here's the problem,

The focus motor on one of my Robe 700 E AT models is getting stuck, or perhaps slipping. As in, when I'll be focusing it, it'll make the "motor stuck in one position and grinding" noise, and then I'll lose the focus function as its stuck. It will remain in one focus for a while even if I tell it to go to another focus. After a few minutes, usually after moving the light around with pan and tilt, it will return to normal and I can focus it again, but then again sure enough it gets stuck. This does not generate an error message.

Any idea as to what is wrong? Is this a stripped belt? Might it need some sort of lubrication? The manual gives nothing in terms of focus mechanism trouble shooting or maintenance.

Have you looked at the belts/motors/gears? Try manipulating it by hand... that should give you a clue. If not you can try watching it (with the lamp OFF) to see what is happening.

Right now we are 99% sure that it is the focus servo. The sticking/grinding is occurring at any setting in the focus range, not just the extreme ends as we first theorized, and even occurs from minor adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back