sACN interface address setting

dbaxter

Premium Member
OK, in the process of setting up our new Ion XE and converting from the Cue Player Lighting software that we used before. We used a DMX King interface with ArtNet and/or sACN to generate the DMX signals. Even though the XE obviously has direct DMX outputs, I figured I'd setup sACN as a backup. The DMX King unit is set to address 192.168.1.11 and CP Lighting found it fine by polling. I've been unable to find anywhere how I can tell the XE to use that address. Do I need to connect the King unit to a computer, use the DMX King tool to reset its address to 10.100.x.y? And then how do I ever talk to it again? I'm afraid to try that for fear of turning the unit into a brick. I was able to set the XE itself to 192.168.1.15 so that I can use OSC commands to it, if needed, but darned if I can find how to set the sACN/ArtNet output address. Please don't laugh too hard if I'm being really dumb.

sACN uses multicast so as long as you are in the correct network (192.168.1.x assuming you are using a mask of 255.255.255.0) then you should be good to go. ETC's default network is 10.101.x.x (mask 255.255.0.0)

Changing the XE's network is done in the shell

EOS Consoles will be default have sACN (starting at U1) and local DMX output enabled and configured to basically run side by side. ArtNet usually needs to be enabled in the shell. Like Brucek said, you don't need to "direct" the ION XE to the DMX King interface- you just need to make sure you've configured your network settings properly on all devices. You do need to make sure you've plugged into the correct network port on the XE based on how you've configured them both.

My preference is to set the DMX King to either ArtNet or sACN, but sACN is probably preferable since it's usually a little easier to manage universes for your brain since sACN starts at U1 whereas ArtNet's first universe is 0. That said, you can limit per channel what outputs it is being sent data over. In PATCH if you select a channel and in the channel settings select PROTOCOLS you can see which it is allowed to be broadcast over. Again, sACN and Local DMX should by default both be output to, but it is possible in setting things up you overrode the defaults and channels might only be set to output to Local DMX.

By default sACN uses a multicast address scheme. The IP addresses are pre determined.
The console knows the address, and the node knows the address.
Universe 1 is always 239.255.0.1
Universe 24 is always 239.255.0.24
Universe 250 is always 239.255.0.250
Universe 256 is always 239.255.1.1
etc.
Shouldn't need to change the consoles address for anything else because each multicast stream starts a separate network instance with a class "D" subnet mask (255.255.255.255)

As of 3.2, if you so choose you can configure eos to unicast sacn to a node instead. This would let you enter the address, but doesn't really gain much in a simple network setup. In a network with a lot of traffic, or a routed network, it can be beneficial, and it can make the mental signal flow easier

Thanks. It would make my mental signal flow better if I could find how to do that. I think I'm overwhelmed by the many options provided.
This should be where you want to start looking:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We have switched over to artnet.. I also use opto isolators on the final dmx output going to the various branches. Figure might save me from lightning/ voltage spikes.
I had a lightning strike at the smaller barn I used to work at... took out one universe on the old etc 96.. I had the opto isolator installed, but someone doing lighting at one point must have said
"Whats this" and took it out... there it was.. just sitting behind the board saying.. Dude.. I could have saved you.

We have switched over to artnet.. I also use opto isolators on the final dmx output going to the various branches. Figure might save me from lightning/ voltage spikes.
I had a lightning strike at the smaller barn I used to work at... took out one universe on the old etc 96.. I had the opto isolator installed, but someone doing lighting at one point must have said
"Whats this" and took it out... there it was.. just sitting behind the board saying.. Dude.. I could have saved you.
Why the switch to artnet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back