Automated Fixtures Thoughts and opinions on the Martin MAC 500

Re: thoughts and opinions on the mac 500 martin and the martin mac 500 profile

The MAC500 is a very old fixture. The model is over 9 years old (I believe) and I am not sure that they are even made anymore. At the time it was a great fixture, now it is a little behind the times. It isn't a bad fixture, just a little outdated.

I'll take the time tonight to write a more lengthy response to this, but here's the gist of what I'd like to get across:

1) If it doesn't have CMY mixing, there's no way it can be "the perfect theater light".
2) The MAC500 as already mentioned is an ancient light as far as moving lights go, has a rather rock-n-roll based color selection, and is also very narrow and doesn't have many good theatre gobos either. Also, coming from a repair and service standpoint, it is not good in the reliability department, especially these days - motor issues, sensor issues, fans dying, boards going, things like that. I worked for a rental/production house that had a large in-house inventory of those things and it was a job in itself just keeping most of them running.
3) What purpose will these moving lights fill? Do you want to do specials? Gobo/color stage washes? How many lights will you be purchasing/do you have a budget? Answering this question in full will help guide us in our responses and give you much better information for what you are doing.
4) Arguably the best moving light for theatre would be the Clay Paky Alpha Profile 1200 or Alpha Profile 700, but those are both at the high end of the price range and you won't find many of them used. I also like the VL3500 Spot, but it's also expensive.

Movers in theatre, HS especially, should be Right Arm or some type of mirror unit (I-Cue). I know some get tired of the Gafftaper Method references but it is done because it is the better money spent. Spending money on antiquated movers that are better for R&R is not smart money. Taking a S4 and building around it is a much better use of money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: thoughts and opinions on the mac 500 martin

I'll take the time tonight to write a more lengthy response to this, but here's the gist of what I'd like to get across:

1) If it doesn't have CMY mixing, there's no way it can be "the perfect theater light".
2) The MAC500 as already mentioned is an ancient light as far as moving lights go, has a rather rock-n-roll based color selection, and is also very narrow and doesn't have many good theatre gobos either. Also, coming from a repair and service standpoint, it is not good in the reliability department, especially these days - motor issues, sensor issues, fans dying, boards going, things like that. I worked for a rental/production house that had a large in-house inventory of those things and it was a job in itself just keeping most of them running.
3) What purpose will these moving lights fill? Do you want to do specials? Gobo/color stage washes? How many lights will you be purchasing/do you have a budget? Answering this question in full will help guide us in our responses and give you much better information for what you are doing.
4) Arguably the best moving light for theatre would be the Clay Paky Alpha Profile 1200 or Alpha Profile 700, but those are both at the high end of the price range and you won't find many of them used. I also like the VL3500 Spot, but it's also expensive.

The purpose is mostly for specials so a spot or profile rather than a wash, for now, I am olny looking to purchase one to learn and experience it more before we hand out more money. And the budget for now being one light, is roughly 1200$. not much for a good light but the most they let me do.

I have found several good lights at several sites. let me know your thoguhts about the light and its use for the theater. the price is higher but i have a bit extra myself.
Used Stage Lighting Gear - Creative Stage Lighting Co., Inc.

TechCrazy|Buy Consumer Electronics, DJ Lighting, Chauvet, American DJ

Re: thoughts and opinions on the mac 500 martin

If you are keen on buying a moving light fixture after all the advice to the contrary, then please go to a local supplier/rental house and ask them what they have to offer in that price range. If you are buying used from their rental inventory, there is a good chance they will have spare parts and service technicians familiar with the gear who can help keep your lonely fixture going. They may also be willing to cut you a good deal on something new with the hope of selling you more in the future. Buying off the internet may not get you the support you are going to need to keep a fixture going. In the long term, a good working relationship with a local supplier will be more useful since you can have an instrument around for learning and rent more as needed for future shows. You should also have a long discussion with them about what they have in their rental inventory, the power requirements, and the best fit they have for your venue given available power, throw distances, and whatever other limitations your performance space has.

As for the Martin MAC 500, I have the scanner version of the same instrument in our inventory, the Roboscan 918. On the plus side, they are a fine fixture for specials, and Martin is a good company with a solid reputation for supporting their product. On the down side, some of the replacement parts are no longer made or stocked, the optical train is not as efficient as a more modern 575W discharge lamp fixture, they are louder than a more modern Martin fixture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back