Cloudy short-arc lamp?

It  can shorten the life, but TBH we've done that for years with Mac 550s and not noticed a huge reduction in lamp life (although we do lamp off and let the fans run these days).
The Martin MAC 550 lamps are significantly less powerful than the Martin MAC 2000 Performance II, so my guess is that they are also significantly less hot, and therefore don't get damaged as much from "improper/lack of cooling", but I'm not a physicist so I don't know that for a fact 😅

UPDATE: It doesn't allow me to upload the photos and I don't get an error message:(
I gave up on uploading the photos.

P.S. I'm attaching pictures of two lamps after about 20 hours of use.
As you can see, one lamp looks "new", while the electrodes in the other lamp looks a bit "rough". Just FYI

Hope it's shortened and edited enough so as to understand. Something like "pinch/globe" don't know how to explain better, the tube of the lamp is pinched together, the globe of the lamp has that area where the arc happens. The pinch/globe (edges where you see the blackening) is an area which is most remote from the arc and is where often a non-proper cycle will attack. This is the point I saw where I saw the blackening under your circle on the upper lamp. But I talk too much. Imminent failure on the upper lamp. I won't go into the concept of electrodes out of alignment in how it might effect the lower lamp.

Is that a chip I see on the lower lamp in the same area? Also interesting stuff on the upper part of the lower lamp's circle? Chipping of the lamp in this area should also be a reason for replacement. It is structural.

Hope it's shortened and edited enough so as to understand. Something like "pinch/globe" don't know how to explain better, the tube of the lamp is pinched together, the globe of the lamp has that area where the arc happens. The pinch/globe (edges where you see the blackening) is an area which is most remote from the arc and is where often a non-proper cycle will attack. This is the point I saw where I saw the blackening under your circle on the upper lamp. But I talk too much. Imminent failure on the upper lamp. I won't go into the concept of electrodes out of alignment in how it might effect the lower lamp.

Is that a chip I see on the lower lamp in the same area? Also interesting stuff on the upper part of the lower lamp's circle? Chipping of the lamp in this area should also be a reason for replacement. It is structural.
Thank you for the clarifications!!

So just to clarify: when you say "electrodes out of alignment" - you mean that electrode A is not exactly "in front" of electrode B?

About the chipping: looks like it, but can't say for sure.

I'll examine the lamps a bit closer, now that I know what to look for and what is considered a problem.

I'm eager to read the PDF's you suggested (once you find them).

Once I'll get one of my photographers, I'll TRY to get super high resolution of each lamp.

Thank you so much!!! 😍

Sophia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back