Followspot Seats

mrtrudeau23

Premium Member
One of my summer projects is to come up with a more comfortable seating situation for our student spot ops (we've had complaints, lol). They have the obligatory cushions to sit on, but it's not ideal. We run "Source 4 on a stick" style spots and with the way our catwalks are laid out in both theaters, this requires the operators to sit on the catwalk floor, but also lean forward quite a bit to be able to use the Telrad sights. The catwalk pipes are too low, and the catwalks themselves are too narrow, to use an actual chair. I'm wondering if anyone has a good seating solution for this operating scenario. Maybe a custom build? Or a product that you found works well?
Thanks!

Find a better way to mount the Telrads.

I'm guessing the $1500 Recaro Racing Seat
proxy.php

(similar to what some touring truss spots use)
proxy.php

is beyond the budget?

Find a comfortable banquet chair:
proxy.php
Remove the legs (via Sawzall if necessary or similar).
Mount a 3'-0"-ish length of 1.5" ID pipe to the bottom of the seat. Maybe wih half-coupler s. Attach to structure using Rube Goldberg assortment of cheese-burger s and short pipes.
Maybe consider seat belt and/or other fall restraint.

OR,
use toddler seats and SourceFour Juniors.
proxy.php

I was thinking the same thing, along the lines of backpacking or seat pads for stadiums.

If they're sitting on the floor and leaning forward they're going to be uncomfortable PDQ no matter what sort of cushioning/seat unless they can get the right back/pelvis/leg alignment.

Do they sit with legs dangling over the edge of the catwalk?

It does sound like trying to solve the wrong problem - can't the sights or spots or both be moved slightly to make them more usable?
The only place to mount Telrads on a Source 4 is on the front of the light, which inherently pushes it far away from the operator. It can't really mount anywhere else due to the heat and plastic base of the sight. We've tried the top and sides of the light for mounting the sight.

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.02.36 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.02.47 AM.png

Here are a couple pics of what we're dealing with (ignore the 70s style seats - the space is bad need of a complete reno). Much of the problem stems from the steel beam and mesh on the front of the catwalk. As it is, the lights, especially a 14 deg, need to yoke slightly forward to achieve downstage shots. I'm thinking a slightly elevated seat on the cat to get the op a little higher to see the sight when hitting downstage targets. I can't go too high, otherwise they'll be eye level with the raceway above that pipe, but a little height I think would help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.02.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 10.02.26 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 28
Have you tried bathroom step stools, good weight ratings and cheap to test, + some grip on top for your cushions.

Maybe with an old style (as in thick) Type IV Throwable Boat Cushion on top (built in loops for tethering).

Only rated ~ 110 lbs., but I still use an old AKEA MAMMUT series outdoor kids chair around the house for a step stool.

A milking stool is a short stool made for milking cows. Readily available and cheap. Add a cushion.

One option to help with the main issue which seems to be the position of the fixtures in relation to the operators might be to utilize some pipes and fixed cheeseboros to bring the mounting position back towards the catwalk and a little bit higher? Have two vertical 1-1/2" pipes with a higher horizontal pipe between them that sit on the catwalk supported by horizontal pipes connected to the existing horizontal lighting pipe. A tiny lighting goalpost of sorts. See section below. Black lines are the added pipes.

Spot Position.jpg

Last edited:
Could you rooster them and have a taller stool?
Unfortunately no. They would never be able to shoot under the inner catwalk ring that is upstage of the catwalk ring the spots are on. Plus, at that point they could just stand to operate them. Also, if you look above the Telrad in the first pic, we have low lighting positions off the backs of all the catwalks. It's very limiting trying to thread a followspot around the architecture and theatrical fixtures in this space.

One option to help with the main issue which seems to be the position of the fixtures in relation to the operators might be to utilize some pipes and fixed cheeseboros to bring the mounting position back towards the catwalk and a little bit higher? Have two vertical 1-1/2" pipes with a higher horizontal pipe between them that sit on the catwalk supported by horizontal pipes connected to the existing horizontal lighting pipe. A tiny lighting goalpost of sorts. See section below. Black lines are the added pipes.

View attachment 25704
This is might be possible. There isn't a lot of room with the cable raceway directly above the lighting pipe. We'd also probably have to remove the chain midrail as well to allow for full motion. Our safety office would have a fit over that since they (understandably) required us to have them installed a few years back.

Unfortunately no. They would never be able to shoot under the inner catwalk ring that is upstage of the catwalk ring the spots are on. Plus, at that point they could just stand to operate them.

This is might be possible. There isn't a lot of room with the cable raceway directly above the lighting pipe. We'd also probably have to remove the chain midrail as well to allow for full motion. Our safety office would have a fit over that since they (understandably) required us to have them installed a few years back.
RE: the safety chain- add eyes on the outside of the added legs so you can reattach it. You might need to add some cross bracing on the legs to the original lighting position and/or through bolt flange to the catwalk floor to make it structural enough for this. If you need to fill in the middle portion where the op is working you can add a second chain inside the legs that is below the fixture. This might get a bit clunky.

Alternatively I'd just see if you can get the fixture high enough to clear the chain. You might be able to if you switched to a different type of clamp with no stud and shorter above pipe clearance and moved a little toward the middle of the chain.

I can't quite tell from the pics you posted, can you mount the yoke up on that catwalk bar, aim the s4 down and still be hit all of the areas you need to? If so, that would make it easier to use a small seat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back