Automated Fixtures Vari-Lite VLX Automated Luminaire

Okay, I'll start. On the cut sheet, under Photometric Data, does anyone know what "CCT" means and why that value changes based on the zoom setting?

I'm an old fart, and am used to judging fixtures based on foot-candles calculated from BCP or peak-candelas. Does anyone know how to get these from lumens?

I thought LEDs were supposed to lead to smaller and lighter fixtures. At 27" tall and 62 pounds, this unit seems neither.

Does this unit cost over $10,000 like every other major moving light?

I just got the demo today. I was blown away.

-I made L201, and R54 as well as a ton of other theatre colors.
-I did a 20 second dim and it was smooth as hell (it jumps between 1% and 0, but that will be fixed in a software update)
-Variable CTO from 3,000-9,000K
-CRI>100
-Bright as a VL2500 in white, BRIGHTER in saturated primary colors
-quick movement
-even light field
-color and CT are maintained throughout the entire dimmer curve.
-LED chips can easily be upgraded when they introduce brighter ones in about two years.
-Fast Zoom
-No maintenance.

It was an amazing fixture and I think it really deserves the title as the first true LED lighting fixture. It's not for candy, its not to tone your truss, its to light people.

Its a wonderful fixture and MSRP is $10,000, so street will be a bit less. Unless you are going to a 1500+ fixture I could never see purchasing any other wash fixture. There is just no reason to.

Last edited:
Went to a demo for the new VLX today. I must say I am very impressed. VL spent $5 million developing the chip for this thing. Asked the price range and they said a few hundred more than the VL2500 Wash. So we did a shootout with between the two. Check this out, the 2500 Wash and VLX shooting around 100', zoomed all the way in with a 22 degree beam for the VLX and 16 for the 2500 Wash. The 2500 Wash was shooting 6.5 footcandles and the VLX was shooting 7.5!!!! Visibly more powerful.

What impressed me even more was the CTO and White colors. The CTO blended the light beautifuly producing some amazing colors. The white was the whitest LED "white" I have ever seen. Placed on flesh and it was very pleasing. Very very impressive light. With the price point I would say that the 2500 wash will go away very quickly as the VLX out performed it in all aspects. For a small amount more, but less than the spot, I don't see why anyone would choose the wash over the VLX.

Heavy but very cool. Cooled by water. Each LED is replacable itself. Already talking about great improvements such as possibly controling each LED individually instead of as a whole. Very impressive toy but definately not small and not for a small room either! I would say this would be perfect for a medium sized room. I would love a few in my 2,500 seat room.

Anyone else notice that the webpage linking to the spec sheet lists it under the heading "VLX SERIES Luminaires"? Wonder how long it will be until they bring out the next one in the series? Will it be a profile version? Does this mean we are getting close to an LED ellipsoidal as well?

There are many fascinating followup questions to them using the word "Series" and the plural "luminaires".

Anyone else notice that the webpage linking to the spec sheet lists it under the heading "VLX SERIES Luminaires"? Wonder how long it will be until they bring out the next one in the series? Will it be a profile version? Does this mean we are getting close to an LED ellipsoidal as well?

There are many fascinating followup questions to them using the word "Series" and the plural "luminaires".
I asked, it will be a while till we see one, their focus now is on their new 300watt series fixtures which will debut at LDI.

...There are many fascinating followup questions to them using the word "Series" and the plural "luminaires".
I wouldn't read too much into that, GT. V/L has always grouped its fixtures into "families": Series 200, Series 300, VL1000 Series, et cetera; first depending on power/data distribution, and later depending on application.

Still no ideas on what "CCT" means?

I wouldn't read too much into that, GT. V/L has always grouped its fixtures into "families": Series 200, Series 300, VL1000 Series, et cetera; first depending on power/data distribution, and later depending on application.

Still no ideas on what "CCT" means?

I believe CCT stands for Correlated Color Temperature.

Here's a few informative (yet not 100% relevant) paragraphs taken from this link:
http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/fullSpectrum/claims.asp

"Full-spectrum light sources will not provide better visual performance than other light sources under most circumstances. Visual performance is the speed and accuracy of processing achromatic information (e.g., black print on white paper) by the human visual system. At the relatively high light levels typically found in schools and offices, visual performance is essentially unaffected by the spectral power distribution of the light source, so full-spectrum light sources are, lumen for lumen, no better than any other light source.

Lighting produced by full-spectrum lamps may be, however, perceived as providing brighter architectural spaces than other lamps (Boyce, 2002; Berman, 1990). Three factors may contribute to this effect. First, full-spectrum light sources typically have a high correlated color temperature (CCT) of 5000K - 7500K. Lamps with higher CCT values produce greater brightness perception than lamps with lower CCT of the same luminance. Second, most full-spectrum light sources have high color rendering properties, meaning that surface colors will appear more saturated. Greater saturation will also give the impression of greater brightness (Boyce, 1977). Third, the ultraviolet (UV) radiation produced by some full-spectrum fluorescent lamps has a fluorescing, brightening effect on textiles and paper that have been treated with whitening agents. These combined effects on brightness perception may indeed have positive impact on building occupants, but greater perceived brightness can also be a liability, depending upon the expectations of the space's occupants (Veitch and McColl, 2001). "

Edit: Just noticed that there's a WIKI article on this that you wrote. I'm confused!

Last edited:
Has anybody seen the new Martin MAC 301 LED Wash light? I'm Curious how they compare. Sadly, the Martin looks like they decided to just copy an Elation product.

Nope - it's a different product entirely, that was developed about the same time as the Impression and is actually manufactured by JB lighting.

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/12118-martin-mac-301-wash.html

Pressrelease - Martin Professional A/S and JB-lighting Sign Cooperative Agreement

Just as I predicted (time-wise) after seeing a prototype at last year's LDI, the first VLXs have finally been released into the wild for public consumption. Twenty-four units were on the recently-ended Kylie Minogue tour, equipment provided by Solotech: Onstage/Concerts - Vari-Lite.

VLX

Got an up close and personal demo of the VLX. Wow, that is one hell of a unit.

Mike

Re: VLX

So, uh, the VLX. Yea, of course! the new VLX!

Ok excuse me for being primarily a noise boy, but I like to ogle new gadgets just as much as the next person here on CB, so can I have a little help? Google isn't even giving me anything useful on your cryptic character string. :stumped:
edit: ok fine i searched CB instead of Google and found the VLX that you're talking about. I approve. =]

Last edited:

Yeah, we had a Vari Lite demo at school a few months ago. The VLX was amazing. The instantaneous color changing was awesome (flashing between red, green, and blue). They showed us the selectable color temperature. They even had one of the LED models out, and they passed it around for us to see.

The zoom was really cool too. It went from spot to wash almost instantaneously. They had the lens module from one that they showed us. There was literally a quarter of an inch between the two lenses, that's how they zoom it so fast.

We were all blown away. They handed out, among other things, a pamphlet(ish thing) about the VLX, which I used in my lighting class. (also got some Vari Lite stickers, a lanyard, and a sharpie (all with the VL logo on it))

I got to attend a demo in Atlanta when it first released. We had it in a facility where the back wall was a couple hundred feet away. Had it shooting (in white) against a VL2500W and the VLX read more fc at the back wall that the 2500W!!!! I was blown away at the power of the thing, and if money wasn't the force that drives I would order a dozen of them.

New show, Paris Las Vegas Events/Entertainment - BARRY MANILOW , has 40 of them, 4 sidelight towers with 5 units each, on each side of the stage. They're put to good use, but what impressed me the most was the color of their open white. Matched the other MLs perfectly.

proxy.php

http://barrymanilow.nl/index1.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back